Natural rubber research: Current Methodology for Producing Quality Planting Materials

This paper is presented as part of the proceedings of the Rubber Research Institute of Malaysia Rubber Growers’ Conference 1991, held in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia from 23 to 24 July 1991.

Abstract:

Sabah Rubber Fund Board (SRFB) is committed to producing good quality planting materials in-house. Between 1986 and 1990 it has produced 1.9m two-whorl polybag plants for block planting.

The first part of the paper presents the system used to produce budded stumps, highlighting the budding of 2-1/2 to 8 month-old seedlings, thus allowing for the maximum use of resident budders. Use of hot wax at 85 degrees Celsius with the help of thermostatic-controlled wax-bath ensures good and uniform sprouting. The rest of the paper deals with young budding tested by SRFB. In 1989 and 1990, 64,599 and 192,123 young buddings were produced respectively; 300,000 are being prepared in 1991.

High recoveries of 87%, 91% and 96% were obtained in 1989, 1990 and Spring 1991 respectively. They were due to the following:

  • High buddability of above 99%
  • High budding success above 95%
  • Good and uniform sprouting by painting the bud-patch with hot wax at 90 degrees Celsius
  • Acceptable post-budding losses

Detailed costing is presented in the paper highlighting cost-effectiveness of mechanisation especially on mechanised irrigation system and fully mechanised P + D spraying system. Transplanting success in the field by young budding was very high and estimated to be 98% in 1989 and 1990. Fast establishment and early growth were experienced.

SRFB intends to produce 70% of planting materials as young buddings with the remaining 30% as budded stumps which are required for areas with difficult logistics problems.

[ Download the paper here (file size: ~22Mb) ]

Reference from source (APA):

Ramananathan, S., Liew, V., Yong, H.K., Hj. Karim, S., & Yoon, P.K. (1991). Current methodology for producing quality planting materials. In S.A. Kadir, A.A. (Ed), Rubber Growers’ Conference: towards greater viability of the natural rubber industry (pp. 49-65). Kuala Lumpur: Rubber Research Institute of Malaysia.

Information in this page was last updated on 1 November, 2011.
http://www.alugueldeimpressoras.org